Monday, December 21, 2009

Scrum-diddley

I have two recipes to share with you this evening, both of which my family has been enjoying thoroughly. They're out of my most favorite cookbook, How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.

By the by, the cabbage recipe is for you, Ash. I expect a full report once you've tried it, what you think, how you like it, etc. And that's an order!


GINGERED CABBAGE

  • 2 TBSP butter (I use lard)
  • 1 head cabbage, about 1 1/2 lbs, cored and chopped
  • 1 TBSP minced garlic
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 1 TBSP peeled and minced or grated fresh ginger
  • Juice of 1 lime (I just splash it in from the bottle . . . not fresh, I know)


- Place the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat (a 12 inch cast-iron pan is perfect for this, but go w/ medium heat instead). When the butter melts, add the cabbage. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes.

- When the cabbage is limp but not mushy, add the garlic, salt & pepper, and cook another 2 minutes, stirring.

- Add the ginger and cook another minute. Drizzle with the lime juice and serve.

Yo! Delicious. It is especially fabulous with fried eggs for breakfast, but would be a good side in just about any meal. Out of the boys, little Truen especially enjoys it. "Mo' cabbisge," he says. Diego eats it, but with a lot of complaining about how he hates cabbage beforehand.

EGG NOG

  • 5-6 eggs at room temp., separated
  • 2 TBSP maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2-3 cups milk or cream or combination thereof
  • 1/2 cup rum (optional)
  • Freshly grated nutmeg to taste

- Beat the yolks with the maple syrup until well blended. Stir in the vanilla and the milk and rum if desired

- Beat the egg whites and fold them in thoroughly. (You need not be too gentle; they should lighten the drink but not be discernable.) Top with grated nutmeg and serve.

This recipe is adapted from the original in the cookbook, because 1) I don't use refined sugar, and 2) I found that I like my egg nog much thicker ----> thus, more eggs.

We have the good fortune of having eggs from our own chickens, so I have no qualms about consuming them raw. I would feel the same freedom if I was buying eggs from a small farm/farmer/co-op. The milk I use is also full-fat and raw, that is, unpasteurized - so delicious.

A friend who was here last week said, "This tastes like a custard smoothie!" Yes, indeed. One could argue is that is the perfect tide-over snack or finish-'em-off dessert, full of all that good fat and protein. And sa-weet.

------------------------------------------------------------

I would also like to comment here: I have talked about my old-fashioned hand-mixer before, the one we got from our old neighbor in Minneapolis, Wilburn. But I just have to exclaim about it again. I can't resist . . . I adore it for more than its beauty and intrigue.

It is so easy to use! I like it better than an electric mixer! It is easier to clean! It's fun! Kids like it! It is as quick as a flash, with no assembly required! I recommend it to anyone -- pick one up the next time you're at a thrift store!

Seriously, it's the best. I'm starting to get a little suspicious about all this electric stuff. Ultimately, it seems so unnecessary . . . just . . . superfluous. Like electric can openers . . . really??? Really.

(Whew . . . got that outta my system . . .)

8 comments:

Ashley said...

I'll make it for the whole family this Christmas and report back to you. I may pull a Diego and grumble and complain beforehand.

Shannon said...

I'm with you on the electric can openers! That's been a point of contention around here for years. So far we're still manual... :0)

Ashley said...

Delish!

I LOVED it.
Erik liked it.
Mom, Dad, Grandma and Jayna enjoyed it too.

Sandy said...

Well, since it was an ORDER ... ;)
I made the cabbage last night and it was fabulous! Even my cabbage-disliking husband gobbled it up! I only used half of a head of cabbage and can't wait to use the other ... I've been a bit 'off the radar' recently, opting to invest time 'face to face' with folks, but I've found that I've missed my online journal and also some of my focus and inspiration as a result. Blogging sort-of spurs me on and reminds me to drag my camera everywhere!! Anyway, happy new year and thanks for the fresh recipe. I need some new ones. Stay warm over there ..... Sandy

a. borealis said...

Sandy! I've missed you! It was fun to go through your last couple of posts.

I'm so glad you tried the Gingered Cabbage. Isn't it so delicious? Cabbage is definitely my favorite winter vegetable and THAT is my favorite way to eat it. I also made a potato/cabbage/tomato soup finished off with lemon juice the other week. It was outta this world. (I'm drooling, seriously.) I've got to make that again!

Sandy said...

The cabbage recipe was refreshing to try ... I've been in a bit of a cooking rut (back to that inspiration thing) I need to go through some of my recipe books and get some new favorites -- yesterday I picked up a new Indian cookbook -- I love all of the intensely flavored vegetarian foods. Yum. Also, I think I may have to bite the bullet and purchase the book you referenced!! Anyone who can come up with such a simple and tasty recipe for cabbage is worth looking into! I've missed you too. I have so much respect for what seems like your unwavering focus and determination in the midst of what for me would be some intense isolation. Wow. If I were Japanese I would bow low right now .....

Sandy said...

I have also added to this recipe black sesame seeds ... yum! and .... amen to the electric can opener. what cracks me up are people who take out the e.c. plug it in and use it, then put it away ... so much labor! (unless you have arthritis of course, then, great invention!) =)

ms said...

hey lady! jackson requested eggnog instead of juice for breakfast...easy!!
we slurped it up! what do you think about the cabbage with corned beef for st.pattys day? i'm looking at a recipe from black forest resturant too.