I'm not even going to go into my lack of solitude or "free time". Blah blah blah. That is old news. Instead, I'll pick up where I left off.
We are starting our seventh year of official homeschooling. It feels amazing, this complex structure, built over the years. I couldn't have imagined it, but each year truly builds on the last and the elements come together quite naturally.
This year is a big difference from any other year, as Diego, now 13 years old, is reading at level. This means that I am actually assigning him to read his own books. Up until this point, I have read everything aloud.
This is perfect timing, because with Jamie in Year 2 this year, I wasn't sure how I was going to juggle reading 25 books aloud. It was a fairly heavy load for me last year, which was easier than this year.
As it is, I am letting Diego ease into it slowly, and have assigned seven books for him to read to himself. I am reading the other five aloud for the group. In addition, I've always had Diego and Truen in the same year, so with this, I am having Truen listen to two of the books on audio . . . and have totally fallen off the bandwagon with three of the other books. (I've got to get on that.)
With that preface, here's what we're going this year:
Modified Ambleside Online Y6
Diego (13), Truen (11)
- The Story of the Greeks - H.A. Grueber
- Augustus Caesar's World - Genevieve Foster
- Ben Hur - Lew Wallace
- Never Give In - Stephen Mansfield (Diego)
- Never Cry Wolf - Farley Mowat
- Material World: A Global Family Portrait - D'Alusio & Menzel
- What the World Eats - D'Alusio & Menzel
- The Mystery of the Periodic Table - Benjamin Wiker (Diego)
- The Sea Around Us - Rachel Carson
- The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom - Theodore Gray (Diego)
- Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity - Robert Cwiklik (Diego)
- Myths Every Child Should Know - Hamilton Wright Mabie (Diego)
- The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien (Diego)
- Poetry of Robert Frost (Diego)
Jamie (7), Eliah, in on the ride (5) (read aloud)
- The Story of the World, Vol. 1: Ancient Times - Susan Wise Bauer
- This Country of Ours - H.E. Marshall
- The Little Duke - Charlotte Yonge
- Never Cry Wolf - Farley Mowat
- Tree in the Trail - Holling C. Holling
- The Burgess Animal Book for Children - Thornton Burgess
- Tales from Shakespeare - Tina Packard
- Understood Betsy - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- Poetry of Walter De La Mare
Everyone (read aloud, sung, recited together)
- Shakespeare: Henry V
- Plutarch: Julius Caesar
- OT/NT Bible
- Folk Song: Cockles and Mussels (Molly Malone)
- Hymn: Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
- Book of North American Birds
- The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse - Thornton Burgess
- Getting Started with Latin - William E. Linney
- Oxford First Ancient History
- Earthworms - Dorothy Childs Hogner
- Artist: John Constable
- Composer: Carl Maria von Weber
- MEP Math: Y2 (very end): Diego & Truen
- MEP Math: Y1 (very beginning): Jamie
- Piano Adventures Primer Level: Jamie
- Phonics: Jamie & Eliah
- Nature Study
- Drawing Practice
Oh my garsh, no wonder why my head is spinning every day.
I can't even believe it, all written out. But is is happening. And almost every day.
Insert wink-emoji here.
Ta ta for now!