Monday, May 05, 2008

Garlic Lemonade

We've been battling colds for the past week - first Starbeans, then Pumpkin, and now Squeeze. I feel a strange-something at the back of my nose this morning, so I've done a salt wash and gargled salt water. I felt a little off last week and thought that I had tangoed with the sickness, but now I'm wondering if I'm just now coming down with it. [I've been having a hard time NOT kissing the baby. Drat!!] It seems to be a cold that hangs on stubbonly, complete with aching teeth and sleeping troubles. What a pain.

I've been administering Garlic Lemonade to everyone but the baby, a drink recommended by my girl, Aviva-Jill Romm, in Naturally Healthy Babies and Children. It is an expectorant, tastes good, soothes a sore throat, leaves you feeling much more cozy than where you started, and packs the antiviral and antibacterial power of garlic.

Garlic Lemonade:
  • 1 quart boiling water
  • 1-4 garlic cloves (I use 3 or 4)
  • lemon juice to taste
  • honey to taste

Let the garlic cloves steep in the boiling water for 30 minutes. Serve warm, adding honey and lemon juice to taste. Store in quart or pint canning jars and heat as needed.

1 comment:

Meggan said...

ginger added to that cocktail works wonders!