The "Little House" books were one of my favorite series as a child, as I am sure they are special for many. I re-re-re-read through them the summer before I went to college, knowing it might be awhile before I could re-re-re-re-read them again. And I re-re-re-re-re-read them after I was married, too. My perspective changes with each re-reading. I am noticing that this time around, too (fancy that).
Diego is enjoying Little House in the Big Woods, just as I hoped he would. We are already re-reading favorite passages, like the story of Laura's Grandpa being chased by the black panther through the Big Woods.
The first evening while snuggling in bed, I asked him, "What do you remember about LHitBW?" and I think he's got a bit of Pa Obsession going on.
Here's what he remembered:
- When Pa butchered the pig; Laura and Mary played with the blown-up pig's bladder like a balloon.
- When Pa shot the bear holding the pig.
- When Pa hung the two deers he shot high in the tree, so the wolves wouldn't get them.
- Pa, building the hickory-smoker in the hollowed out tree. It had a roof!
- Pa, playing "Mad Dog" with Laura and Mary and scaring them half-to-death.