Monday, March 21, 2016

Booklist for boys

 Books my boys have loved:
  • Hatchet (et al) - Gary Paulsen
  • Woodsong - Gary Paulsen
  • My Side of the Mountain - Jean Craighead George
  • Old Yeller - Frank Gipson
  • Rascal - Sterling North
  • Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Robert C. O'Brien 
  • Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
  • The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Jungle Book and The Second Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
  • Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
  • Little House Books 1-4 - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Future Reference:
  • Little Britches - Ralph Moody
  • Stone Fox - John Reynolds Gardiner
  • Penrod - Booth Tarkington

My older boys are currently 10 and 8 years old. 
All books were absorbed either via audiobook or read aloud.

4 comments:

mschirber said...

We also love every one of these (that we've read) Have you read the City of Ember series? J and I loved reading this series which had many themes to discuss.

a. borealis said...

So fun to see you in my inbox this morning!! I would love to talk about homeschooling. LOVE. I would love to hear what you've read of these books and what you're reading too.

We haven't done the City of Ember series . . . I'll check it out.

XOXO

Unknown said...

Eleanor has read almost all of these. I need to read Robinson Crusoe and The Jungle Book. Worth it? What about Johnny Tremain? We just finished it. :)
The Rats of Nihm was one of my absolute favorites.
Emily

a. borealis said...

Robinson Crusoe is good, yes. It drags on a bit . . . my boys loved it, but I got bored. (And maybe is it more of a "boy book" anyway.)(Though I love a lot of different survival stories.) I think it is worth reading simply for what it is: a classic. So many people have read it since it was published and many subsequent stories reference it. It is part of the literary bedrock of Western culture.

But The Jungle Book and The Second Jungle Book??? Eeeeeeee! READ THEM. They are amazing . . . thrilling from first to last. I really, really enjoyed reading them aloud to the fellas and think of the stories frequently even now. They are rich, so rich; a definite asset to a collection of stories by which to grow. I wish I would have known them as a child. They are the BEST.