Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Vocabulary at 17 months and a predispositioned love for Cheerios...?

Starbeans' vocabulary at 17 months:

  • Bird (brr)
  • Ball (bao)
  • Bus (buh)
  • Mama
  • Dada
  • Grandpa (Bumpa)
  • Up
  • Down (dao)
  • Squirrel (Qrrl)
  • Yes
  • No
  • All done (ao doh) [he signs this too]
  • More (moh) [he signs this too]
  • Hot (haaaat)
  • Cold (cohl)
  • Corduroy (coydoydoydoydoy) [he knows this from the book, Corduroy's Day]
  • Kitty-cat (miaaaow)

I can now give him a choice - "Do you want more or are you all done?" and he tells me what he wants! It is an amazing thing at this point in our lives. This evening, we actually communicated about eating Cheerios: he wanted more, more, more, then he was all done. We're on a roll now!

Incidentally, I bought a box of Cheerios a couple of weeks ago because I couldn't get them out of my mind after half-starving during our rotavirus plague. We don't usually have cereal around the house because 1) Squeeze has weaned himself from it due to his lactose intolerance, and 2) I don't care for it much (aside from my Cheerios cravings, of course). But when we gave Starbeans a handful of Cheerios, it was Love at First Munch. He actually squeals when we get the box down for him.

Now that my brain is clacking into motion, Cheerios was my main obsession during the early-middle days of pregnancy. It was all I wanted; literally, for weeks. I'd wake up in the middle of the night gagging with hunger pains and down a bowl (or 3) of Cheerios. I wonder if the oaty-goodness left its mark in little Starbeans' taste for food?

2 comments:

Jill said...

It's so fun when they start picking up words! Their quasi words are pretty cute too. My daughter doesn't say "dog," but every time she sees one, she pants.

a. borealis said...

That is hysterical!! There are so many fun things about wee ones. I've thought that she seems especially entertaining...