Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The smell of dirt and garden carrots makes me think of him

My rough-and-tumble grandfather died this past weekend. He had been ailing for months, recovering only enough to take another fall or get hit by another UTI or some other bacterial infection. It has been difficult grieving from a distance, only being able to connect with my family via the telephone; but the most difficult part, by far, is knowing the depth of sorrow that my mother and her sisters are feeling.

He was a beautiful lug of a man: strong-jawed, stout, slow-but-steady, and with an undercurrent of wit that you could miss if one didn't slow down to notice. I will always remember his scent: B.O. mixed with cigarette smoke and earth. His death has brought new understanding to the reality of what it means to grieve.

The end was bittersweet: we will miss him dearly, but it is a relief to know he is no longer living in discomfort and misery. My mom and her sisters were able to have him home for the end, surrounded by family. This was very important to them - to all of us. He had been in the hospital but when they realized that he was dying, they made the decision to bring him home. He died on the same piece of land that he was born onto.

I am so proud of his my mom and her sisters' loving diligence in caring for him all these months, and for the of servant-love the provided for both him and my grandmother. They honored his life and love by their selfless caregiving and constant hard work. I look to them with heartfelt admiration.

My mom wrote a beautiful obituary for him.

Here is a fragment:

Lester A. Christiansen, master of the one liner, passed from his earthly body July 6, 2008. He was surrounded by his family in the home he loved. We will miss the humor he brought to our lives.

Lester was born March 29, 1919 in Stanwood to Henry and Laura Christiansen. He spent the beginning and the end of his life on Laura’s family homestead. He enjoyed the hunting and fishing the area offered. He had a favorite dog, his Chesapeake Bay retriever, Pat, that accompanied him on many excursions that ended with a good meal!

Lester served his country during World War II in the 507 parachute infantry, Company H. He joined May 6, 1939 and was honorably discharged in September 1945. He received a Bronze Star for service in Europe and was a Purple Heart recipient for injuries sustained during that time. While on leave before his European deployment, he was introduced to Lea Gundersen by his sister, Hazel. They were married Oct. 8, 1945.

We will miss you, Grandpa. We will miss you.

3 comments:

TulipGirl said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

My grandfather died in January.

This week I keep meeting elderly men who make me think of him. I'm not crying when I meet them. . . But am feeling wistful, mournful.

Peace to you as you grieve.

Janna said...

That was a beautiful obituary. Thank you for sharing.

Both my grandparents died this year after long illnesses, so I understand the "bittersweetness."

Well wishes and peace to your family.

lil' mama said...

My Grandad died on Luke's 30th b'day last year. Grampa's are important special people! Thinking of you!