Friday, May 15, 2009

What I've been thinking about recently...

  • Amazingly textured skies.
  • Windblown grass.
  • The scent of a bright, dewy, crisp morning.
  • Old homestead garden varieties that fill our grove - daylilies, lily of the valley, fancy nettle, violets, yarrow, and even struggling crabapples - all remnants of a farm long-gone: testaments from the past.
  • How taking a hard line in the philosophy of locally-produced, sustainable eating seems to veto vegetarian and/or vegan eating, especially in this part of the country.
  • My selfishness as a mother, and how to get beyond that.
  • How my husband and I compliment each other almost perfectly; and how remarkable it has been to recognize that very fact more fully these past few months. How can we be so lucky? Does every pairing contain strengths/appreciation on this level?
  • Friendship. Knowing and being known; feedback; great conversation; delving into the abstract; enjoying a well-prepared meal or drink together.
  • Coconut oil on Bible Bread. Nummm...
  • Rhubarb sauce sweetened with chopped dates and orange, spiced with cloves: on pancakes or oatmeal.
  • Anticipation for the coming growing season: knowing I will be able to go out back and pick a full meal in a matter of months.
  • Soaking grains and seeds for greater digestibility. Next up: nuts soaked overnight in salt water. I'm ready.

4 comments:

* IrwinSong * said...

You must have "Nourishing Traditions", eh? I soak our nuts overnight in salt water, too, then dehydrate them for 24 hours- oh my yum!! What else are you soaking?

C. Shirk said...

"selfishness as a mother" - I think that's an oxymoron.

a. borealis said...

Carrie! You are so right. But the question still stands... How do I exterminate my selfishness?! I'm trying, and it is hard.

Michelle: NT, yes. This is the first "eating philosophy"/diet that has ever struck a chord with me. It just makes sense.

I've been soaking oats, teff, rice, wheat/spelt flours, and soaking/sprouting beans. Nuts are next. I am currently soaking cornmeal for cornbread, but after making the lime water, soaking the cornmeal, and then soaking the flour w/ the whey/water and the cornmeal, I think that cornbread is going to be an almost-3 day process. Sheesh! =)

ms said...

so good to hear! the simple beauties of life!