Friday, November 03, 2006

The Scarlet Butt-crack

I feel like posting something dreamy; not a complaint, like "Why does my neighbor insist on showing her butt-crack?"

But seriously: why does she?

For those who check my Currently Reading list, yes - I've been reading The Scarlet Letter for nigh on a month now. Maybe more. I read mostly while I'm pumping at work, which is only 3 days a week; so I don't get anywhere very quickly. I spot-read other things, but a novel: that is a different story.

I find myself drifting while reading it. Hawthorne goes into such deep detail about the physical surroundings, back-history, inner-thoughts, emotions, etc. - I get off track. I really like it, though, especially when little Pearl says things like "What does the letter mean, mother? - and why dost thou wear it?" or "Why doth the minister sit yonder?"

I'm going to make a list of books that I enjoyed as a youngster. By youngster, I mean junior high and younger - both books I read, as well as those that were read to me by my father and aunt.


  • The Secret Garden
  • A Little Princess
  • The Trolley Car Family
  • The Boxcar Children
  • Veronica the Show-off
  • SuperFudge
  • Anne of Green Gables
  • Anne of Avonlea
  • Anne of the Island
  • The Hobbit
  • Lord of the Rings - Fellowship, Two Towers, Return of the King
  • The Chronicles of Narnia
  • A Wrinkle in Time
  • At the Back of the Northwind
  • The Little House books
  • Little Women
  • Reader's Digest
  • Life magazine
  • Baby-sitter's Club books

I also read countless Nancy Drew books, but can't remember even one story-line or plot. I recognize book covers, but that is it. Interestingly, while I find Reader's Digest incredibly boring and hum-drum as an adult, I couldn't wait for each issue to come as a elementary-aged kid. I read those things from cover-to-cover: very odd, methinks.

I conclude this post with revealing one of my favorite books of all time: Jane Eyre. I love it. I love it! It is definitely in my Top Five.

5 comments:

purple_kangaroo said...

I read and enjoyed most of those, too. Now I'm reading some of them to my girls, and that's fun.

Jill said...

I like your list. Many of those are on my all time favorites list too. I never read Jane Eyre. I'll put it on my To Read list.

I always read Reader's Digest at my grandma's house. It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power was the best!

gina said...

Hey, I love Jane Eyre, too! It is my all time favorite and not many people understand that because it is so dark at times. Yay. Also, did you ever read "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" as a girl? I remember loving that one. Also, sorry about your neighbor. Yikes.

a. borealis said...

I don't think I ever remember reading The Witch of Blackbird Pond, although I most certainly remember the title. 'Blackbird Pond' is so fun to say - it has a lot of nice consonants. I'll have to check it out, though: I've found that many "children's books" are very enjoyable reads for adults. One of my favorite examples: Alice in Wonderland. Dang, I love that book - and I didn't read it until I was 26.

I adore Jane Eyre. It is so atmospheric - dark, moody, mysterious, dramatic, funny. It's THE BEST. The last time I read it, I decided to re-read Pride and Prejudice (which I also love) directly afterwards, but I had to put it down because it was just too sunny and chirpy.

Thanks for commenting, everyone. There is nothing like a Good Book List.

Becky said...

Hello!

I just happened across your blog through Tammy's blog, and my eyes widened at your Jane Eyre comment...you see, it's also my favorite book of all time and I'm using it as the "gold standard" of all literature on a book blog that I started. Check me out!

http://thisgirlsbooks.blogspot.com/

Becky