Monday, August 20, 2007

News

My midwife and her apprentice came to our house today for our prenatal appointment: I have good news and unsettling news.

First, the good news:
  • I am measuring right on target (up until this point, I was measuring a bit large). I suppose this could be considered neutral news, but I was pleased nonetheless.
  • My leukocyte count was down to +25 from +500 last month. Not eradicated, but genuinely improved. I'm so glad, because I was starting to get disheartened with my slim-to-none carb & fruit diet. This gives me the drive to continue forth with renewed zeal. I am also starting to take Zymex in addition to my mondo probiotic. Let's kick some yeast-booty, Borealis.

Then, the unsettling news:

  • The midwife noted that the placental tones are low in my uterus: she heard them all along the under-side of my belly. This could possibly indicate placenta previa -- a condition that requires a c-section for delivery, no exceptions. It is caused when the egg implants too low in the uterus and the placenta blocks the baby's way out. If the placenta comes out first, the baby dies from lack of oxygen. Enough said.

The midwife recommended that I have an ultrasound completed at the appointment with my back-up doctor (already scheduled for next Tuesday); through that, they will be able to see clearly whether I have an issue with or not. More than likely, I do not have this problem; the ultrasound's purpose would be to confirm it either way. Here's to hoping for good news! [My goodness.]

While the health and life of the baby is obviously the most important [duh], it would be devastating for me to have my baby through c-section. I would feel as if my powers were stripped from me, not to mention the fact that it is major abdominal surgery. I think this is a common reaction for women who have had c-sections (from what I've read). I know that it doesn't truly de-frock women of anything, but I can't help but feel mournful over even the potential of the event. I will try not to think of it over the next week -- there is no use worrying.

We were in Minneapolis over the past weekend; picking up the birdbath we left behind, going to stores we don't have access to in the Rolling Prairies, hanging with our BILs, SILs, nieces, & nephews, and attending Squeeze's 2nd cousin's wedding. It was very good to be back, if only briefly. I feel a firm emotional attachment to Minneapolis and while we've only been gone for approximately 2 months, I honestly can say I felt like I was home. I felt like that when we returned as well, once we got to our house. My heart is divided, but I don't feel stressed by it -- I think I actually like it. We stayed at our friends' house (they were out of town) and it was a wonderful, wonderful weekend.

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Wow so glad to hear you are doing better with the yeast problem, this can be a real pain! I've struggled for years with it and it's great to feel like you have a better handle on it!

I also had placenta previa with Guenna, I was a little freaked until I did some research and found out that those who have it even a complete previa (covers the whole cervix), there is only around 5% chance that it wont correct itself before 37 weeks pregnant. My midwife said in 20 years she's only had I think three ladies have to have surgery and she's even had one patient who's previa didn't correct until she was 37 weeks, then all the sudden when the growth spurt happened it was just fine. Hope that helps. Bless you!

a. borealis said...

Thanks for the encouraging words, Jenni! I love blogging; it really opens the world up.

I was reading the exact same thing last night and created a plan of attack: Depending on the ultrasound results, I am going to ask for at least 1 more ultrasound right towards the end. I certainly don't want to just fall into the pit of believing that I have no other choice, especially with the fact that the placenta can actually migrate northwards as the baby grows. If I have no choice at the end, I will resign myself to it. However, I'm not going to go down without a bit of a fight - and make 100% sure that I have no other option.

Jenni said...

Good plan, I think they usually keep doing ultrasounds weekly after about 34 weeks if it still hasn't corrected, at least that's what my midwife had her patients do, how many weeks are you now? Good luck, I agree about the C-section, I was so bummed when I found out that I might have to have one and then so relieved when I didn't!

a. borealis said...

This is VERY good information. Thanks! The more I know, the better equipped I will be in dealing with the situation. I haven't met the back-up doctor yet, but I was given his name by another homebirthing mama in the area. I'm hoping that he won't be alarmist and hit the fan or something like that. I want to keep it real.

Thanks again, Jenni. Seriously. It means a lot to me.