Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oh my!

I am so pleased. I don't even care that Starbeans is skipping his 3rd nap in 4 days (although, I admit - I do feel a little mournful over this in spite of everything). Why, do you ask? Because, the kid said, "Potty, Mama, potty" and proceeded to pee in his potty chair after I bolted from the bedroom, brought the potty chair in, and ripped off his diaper. [We had previously been attempting to settle down for a nap.] I am so proud. I even considered saying (to save the nap), "Oh, you have to go potty?" and then leaving it at that, but thought otherwise. Consistency, woman!

It seems like the circuit is connecting more frequently. Sure, he's peed in the potty chair only a few times in the last couple of weeks; sure, he's pooped on the big potty only once in the last couple of weeks: the point being, it isn't every day, or even every other day. But, and here's the big ole BUT: he's communicating the urge. It seems to me that is the key. I am pleased even when he tells me, "Potty, Mama" or "Poopy, Mama" after the fact. At least the child is aware of what is happening. That seems to be the first step -- with the gradual move towards going consistently on the pot. I really hope this is our progression. I am very ready to stop cleaning out poop diapers, especially. YUCK. Talk about revolting.

1 comment:

ms said...

that is AWESOME!! sadly, we have retreated. j now flat out LIES when i can smell the poop coming out of his diaper. he hasn't sat on the pot in weeks. i don't want to push it, but gosh it would be nice before the babe comes.....
way to be consistent - that can be so hard