Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kitchen, being remodeled


Why yes, that kitchen counter is as only as tall as a two year old. What's wrong with that? A whole lotta crap, I'll tell you. Our kitchen is in the process of being remodeled right now [it was initially slated to start in January, but it just started today - no biggie, though]. The entire kitchen is wheelchair accessible, which was probably very nice for the lady in the chair that lived here 15 years ago, but not so nice for us.

The top cupboards have already been raised. See the white in the wall? That is where the cupboards used to be. There is still a whole list of things to do, like raise the window, raise the counter tops and stove top, electrical, plumbing, and finishing work. We're getting a new sink, too! The current one, I kid you not, is 6 inches deep: a total pain in the butt.

We are also getting a new dishwasher, as the old one cooked food onto the plates instead of cleaning it off, and got RID of that dratted microwave. I am SO GLAD to be rid of that thing. We've lived the last 7 years without a dishwasher or a microwave. I'm ready for a dishwasher, but I will N-E-V-E-R own a microwave again. No, never. [Along with being an utter waste of space, it creates health concerns from merely operating it. Magnetic fields? No thanks! Fats damaged on a molecular level? Take a hike and never come back!]

I had an actual physical reaction when I walked into the kitchen this afternoon and saw what they had accomplished thus far. I didn't realize what a cave it had felt like in there, with everything bearing down on you. It feels so freeing! Just in time for spring.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Do tell about your microwave information. A friend of mine and I have both gotten rid of our microwaves, but in searching it online I can't find what I'd consider a "strong" case to be made against them ... as conventional cooking also decreases nutritional value, etc. Do tell! Thanks. And, congrats on the new kitchen. How exciting. -Sandy

purple_kangaroo said...

How wonderful about the kitchen remodel--hooray for you!

I've heard of steamers that can be installed built-in and are about the size of a microwave, and about as fast.