Friday, June 27, 2008

Domesticating

  • I made a fantastic rhubarb sauce sweetened only with chopped raisins. The original recipe [from my favorite cookbook, How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman] called for dates, but raisins can be used as an alternate. It was delicious! We've been eating it on our pancakes. I love rhubarb, but h-a-t-e refined sugar. I'm always looking for ways to get around it in conventional recipes.
  • I love hanging laundry on our clothesline. It isn't a chore, it is a pleasure. I've hung our diapers out to dry since Starbeans was born and tried to hang as much as I could from fencepost to fencepost in our backyard in Minneapolis, but now that I have a pair of sky-blue clothesline poles behind our garage under a towering ash tree, I am in hog's heaven. The breeze - the shade - hearing the leaves rustle above me - hanging the damp articles with Wilburn's wooden clothespins. It feels so good.
  • I rendered lard last week. Yes, I did! My in-laws bought a pig from a local farmer and when I found out, I begged them to save the lard for me. They did, very obligingly, and now I have 3 shiny quarts of snowy-white lard (and more to come). I followed directions from a blog I found on my google search called An Obsession with Food & Wine. It was easy. I made refried beans with it for our bean-and-cheese quesadillas last night and it dyn-o-mite! There is a reason why - other than necessity and using what they had - that Grandma and Great-Grandma and Great-Great Grandma used lard in their cooking. It is fan-tabulous. Besides, who doesn't want to use a good saturated fat vs. these freaky man-made fats that have dominated us for the past 30-40 years?
  • I've been re-re-reading Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon recently, which has spurred me into soaking and fermenting grains before consuming them. I have already been soaking and sprouting the beans I cook with (I highly recommend this - not only does it heighten their nutritional value, but they cook up in a snap). This week, I've eaten amaranth porridge for breakfast - it has the consistency of Cream of Wheat and smells like roasting corn as it is cooking. I eat it with cinnamon honey, butter and/or yogurt, and walnuts. Delicious. Starbeans, however, prefers his oatmeal.
  • Speaking of cinnamon honey, I finally met our neighbor - the beekeeper. Her name is Walentyna: she is 81 years old, Polish, and as fit as a fiddle. She eats whole foods: the woman makes her own butter and bread and who-knows-what-else. She told me of her elderly mother visiting her here in the Rolling Prairies from Poland who shook her head and said, "America - a country so rich, that eats garbage food." While we were at her house, she introduced me to cinnamon honey: 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon in 1 cup honey. Simply amazing. I've always loved cinnamon toast, but that dratted white sugar has kept me away from it all these years; I don't know how I could have forgotten about our friend the honey bee. Now I can have my toast and eat it too.

My lard, before the final step of melting it down

4 comments:

lil' mama said...

You amaze me! I am fascinated by what you do! And amazed that you do it with two small children!!!! Is your kitchen renovation complete? I'm inviting myself to your house someday:)

Sandy said...

Yesterday I made (for the first time ever) jam. But, lard?! Wow. That's impressive! So, no worries about the arteries? I'm just wondering. Incidentally, I have a few friends who keep bees -- and all in all it's quite easy and great for the garden / fruit trees. My SIL is lobbying for me to start keeping bees (they live on the East Side in Providence - city). Her mother in CA started strickly for the help with pollinating! (to which my SIL said "WHAT?! Eat the honey!" Anyway, I'm rambling. Hats off! Good job!

a. borealis said...

Lil' -- Kitchen Remodel: mostly complete. I'll have to post pictures. Sorry to leave you hanging... =) You can get a little bit of an idea by the background in the lard shot. And yes....!!! Please come!

Sandstone: Lard was easier than it sounds. Check out Nourishing Traditions from the library - that is what has stripped my fear of [good] saturated fats. Coconut oil and butter fall into that category as well. It is interesting, though - the indoctrination I've received my entire life via the food pyramid and other influences still affect me. And keeping bees...how interesting!! Squeeze's parents used to do that and I know they really enjoyed it (not to mention all the resulting honey).

a. borealis said...

Kates, this response is waaaaay late - but I finally came up with an answer to the "how do I do this?"

1) It took a week to do all this
2) Squeeze is here eve & weekends
3) Cooking is my hobby [obsession]
4) I don't do processed foods
5) Experimentation is rewarding

So because of all of the above, I just do it. It's a pleasure, not a pain. =)