Friday, September 23, 2011

Ye Olde List Post

A few things I want to remember:
  • Jamie started "pbbbbt'ing" yesterday.  The cutest.  And very slobbery.
  • Diego and Truen have been playing a game called Mouse Town recently.  They set up an entire village for imaginary mice, complete with shops and bridges to get from place to place.  It takes up our entire living room, which is enormous.
  • The boys say "it broke to parts" or "it will fall to parts" vs. the more common description "fall apart".  I love how we have our own micro-dialect going on here. 
  • "Imn't" instead of "I'm not" is another common one.  It is used like this: "I imn't going to". 
  • Both boys also say "schickens" instead of "chickens".
  • I'm already missing eggplant and zucchini (both are kaput for the season).
  • Though honestly . . . I realized today that I don't mind.  Eating seasonally makes everything twice as wonderful.  It is something to look forward to, a seasonal delight that will be savored for a window of time.  It's fun.
  • Annnnnnnd . . . life seems to be going by so fast that I haven't had time to miss things like baked apples.  But we had some the night before last, and my goodness, but it was scrum-diddley.  Definitely worth waiting for.
  • With that in mind, I absolutely, positively cannot wait for next summer's garlic scape pesto.
  • Or the eggplant-and-cherry tomato pizza that my brother and SIL made for us a couple of weeks ago.
  • Our house has been c-c-c-c-old this past week.  We haven't turned on the heat or lit a fire, but I pulled out my wool sweaters and slippers.  It is chilly.  We had an early frost last week and many days with virtually no sun.  And even though it has been sunny the last couple of days, it hasn't been able to warm the house up.  It feels colder inside than out.  Thus, the slippers.
  • Ugh, speaking of slippers.  I've noticed that if my feet are cold, my legs and hips feel it.  This is new, like within the last couple of years.  My body is aging, and gak . . . that is hard to take.  My little guys have been running around barefoot while I'm holed up in slippers.  I keep on checking their feet and checking in with them about how they are feeling and they are always warm.  Say it isn't so.  Things are starting to change...?
  • I'll be 34 in a couple of weeks.
  • Truen will be 4 a couple of weeks after that.  He's wearing a 3T this fall, which means he is growing right on schedule (he was in 2T last winter).  No prob.
  • Meanwhile, our gigantic almost-9 month old is wearing 12 month clothing, some of it what Truen was wearing when he was learning to walk backwards.  He does still fit into the 6-9 month size, but not for long...
  • Jamie is 22 lbs (maybe more . . . that weight is from almost 2 months ago).
  • Truen is approx. 28 lbs.
  • Heh. :)
  • I'm so glad that I was able to have a little, tiny guy sandwiched between my two hulks.  My wish would be for people with small babes to stop worrying -- if they are developmentally on track, growing and bright-eyed, it is foolish to spin the mental wheels of worry.  Some kids are just small.
  • My little guy was (is) so easy to carry around and was always so darn cute because he was littler than everyone else.  And carry him, I did.  A lot.  Petite, sweet, and just darlin'.  It is also easier to pretend they are younger than they actually are when they are so little. ♥
  • Meanwhile . . . I dug into the storage bin for 12 month clothing yesterday and realized it is all SUMMER.  Oh no!  Oh yes.  But of course!  I never contemplated it beforehand, but Diego (who Schtinky matches for size) was a summer baby and the seasons are switched.  Doh.  Truby was always so tiny that the 12 month clothes fit him during the winter months, in spite of the seasonal difference.
  • So that means I have lots n' lots of onesies and cute little short-outfits and not much of the warm stuff.  None, actually.  Aside from the gifts we received this time 'round and the two outfits I snagged at the thrift store yesterday.  And the 12-18 month stuff is too big.
  • Oh well.  I have enough to make it until the remnants are thrifted.  (Good thing I discovered it in September!)
  • All three boys are sleeping simultaneously this afternoon.  A rare event and a blessing, indeed.

2 comments:

C. Shirk said...

We need a photo of the mice village. That is so cute. I LOVE when the kids get engrossed in imaginary play especially when they are all working at it together.

My hips are sore these days too!!! I totally feel you. At the end of the day, my joints ache! Yikes! My mom has had both knees and a hip replaced. I think I have her joints. I feel like I need to do something. Exercise? Omega 3? What?

a. borealis said...

I always feel better on the days that I'm able to stretch in the morning and have a hot shower. But sheesh . . . I can hardly manage that, let alone exercise.

But yes, one would think exercise and a whole foods diet would be good maintenance. I should start asking people who are 10+ years older than me what they experienced/recommend. That would be interesting.

I started thinking maybe 6-7 years ago that I better start to "use it or lose it". WELL. I think I've already started losing some of it. Stretching is about as far as this girl goes, aside from an active lifestyle. Hmmmmm...