Friday, October 05, 2007

Apples galore


I tested my hand at drying apples, following the instructions from the Food Drying book I bought on ebay last spring. My bounty was small, as I learned the hard way to use glass only. After the ascorbic acid dip, the apples burnt the crap out of the metal pans (fresh out of the box - a not-yet-used wedding gift) I had them on. I didn't want to risk eating anything where metal could have been sponged up, so I tossed them. Two of the pans I had them on were glass and they turned out beautifully. Aren't they pretty?


I also made spiced apple sauce (no sugar added) to use on our pancakes throughout the coming year. When my friend Mimi was here the other weekend, she made a batch that kicked some royal anus. I tried my best to replicate her spur-of-the-moment recipe. Spices used: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom. We like applesauce on our pancakes instead of sugary-fake syrups; all last year whilst buying organic, sugar-free applesauce and simultaneously pining for an apple tree of my own, I thought, "I can't wait to make it myself!" And now I have. Granted, I could have bought apples from the farmer's market or an apple orchard and done the same thing, but instead...I have my own apple tree. Eeek! It is so thrilling!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures of the kittens and Starbeans on the pot. I remember reading caps for sale myself. Sorry about all the yeast--that really sucks! And now that you have me scared about the sippy cup I have no where to turn. :) Eleanor drinks out of a sippy cup with a straw and seems to love her water. ;) I also have a plastic water bottle too...time to get something new! :) The story about the cows is excellent too...I love to hear how our lives are so different. It's very cool to catch a glimpse of what is going on in the lives of others.
~Emily

a. borealis said...

I know! I feel the same way about reading your blog...it is so fun to be part of your lives, if only a little bit. I love that.