Wednesday, January 24, 2007

De-glitzed

I had an epiphany yesterday morning at work, while I was waiting for my baked potato(es) to heat up in the microwave. The talk show, Tyra, was on in the corporate breakroom. I didn't pay much attention even though it was blaring in my ears, until it closed with a [ridiculous] music video.

I have no idea who the musical "artist" was, but the video was completely dripping with lust, gratuitous sexuality, and total self-absorption. It blew my mind. Was this a joke? It looked more like a sketch from SNL than a real music video. [What is a real music video?] It led me to realize that the more detached from pop culture I become, the more laughable it is. Literally: I looked at the glitzed-up hot bod prancing around in front of svelte cars and sexy men & women, singing about his fantastically exciting life and laughed. Its pompousness struck me as hilarious; and it felt so good. I've never been much a part of pop culture, but I have certainly been more aware of it in the past - and never thought it to be that odd. But now, baby, it is out there.

I don't know if this is a part of getting older (I'm 29), or simply a divergence in my life from the beaten path. Perhaps it is both. Whatever the reason, I am so thankful for it. I would hate to be trapped in the race of shinier-hotter-tighter-sexier. I'm chelating the glitz out of my life.

Uhhhh...that is, if it was ever there in the first place.

No comments: